My Blog

My photo
I use this blog to write about my travel experience and my try to express my opinion on general things. Happy Reading!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mini Wedding

Its been a while, since I’ve moved to Bangalore…oops Bengaluru. The advantage of staying here is close proximity to relative’s place and getting invited for each and every function that happens at anyone’s place. In about 2 months time, we’ve got an opportunity to attend atleast 4-5 such functions – naming ceremony, cradle ceremony, small puja, lunch party, engagements, weddings and more. I am not pro attending such events as most of the conversations revolve around common topics – gossip, boasting of their children’s achievements, foreign trips, money spending power. But the advantage is you can catch up with a lot of people at one place and get updated about a lot of things.

Recently,I got to attend an engagement party that was almost like a wedding reception. There were atleast 300 people who attended the event and most of them seem to be proudly showing off their valuable assets – hitech gadgets, cars, clothes, shoes, bouquets etc. I could over hear people talking about many things with appreciation - guy's sherwani worth 10K, diamond earrings, studded slippers, sarees bought at x,y,z place etc. This made me wonder again – Are our Indian weddings are based on pomp and show? The more money spent, the better. . There are many people who barely earn enough to have 2 proper meals a day and there are others who blow up so much money for a small function - what do they achieve by doing this?
I can never understand this logic

I remembered a friend’s wedding that I attended in Amsterdam,Europe. It was so much different and I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the ceremony.. Nancy and Paul - I'm remembering you guys and hope to meet up sometime in the future.

No comments: